Top North Korea Envoy Meets US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo For New Nuclear Talks


Mike Pompeo (centre) with North Korean Vice-Chairman Kim Yong-chol (L). (AFP)

WASHINGTON: 

A top North Korean nuclear envoy began a new round of talks with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and could also meet President Donald Trump at the White House on Friday during a visit aimed at clearing the way for a second US-North Korea summit.

The diplomatic encounter with Kim Yong Chol, Pyongyang’s lead negotiator with the United States, marked a rare sign of potential movement in a denuclearization effort that has stalled since a landmark meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore last year.

Kim Yong Chol and Pompeo, with tight smiles, posed together for photographs at a Washington hotel before heading into the talks that could determine whether the two sides can make headway. There has been no indication of any narrowing of differences over U.S. demands that North Korea abandon a nuclear weapons program that threatens the United States or over Pyongyang’s demand for a lifting of punishing sanctions.

Hours before Kim Yong Chol’s arrival on Thursday, Trump – who declared after the Singapore summit in June that the nuclear threat posed by North Korea was over – unveiled a revamped US missile defense strategy that singled out the country as an ongoing and “extraordinary threat.”

Following his meeting with Pompeo, Kim Yong Chol, a hardline former spy chief, could also go to see Trump at the White House, a person familiar with the matter said.

The high-level North Korean visit could yield an announcement of plans for a second summit, which both Trump and Kim have expressed an interested in arranging.

Their first meeting produced a vague commitment by Kim to work towards the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, but he has yet to take what Washington sees as concrete steps in that direction.

Trump looking for policy ‘win’?

Pompeo had planned to meet Kim Yong Chol to discuss a second summit last November, but the meeting was postponed at the last moment.

At the start of Friday’s talks, Pompeo, joined by Stephen Biegun, US special representative on North Korea, stood alongside Kim Yong Chol at the Dupont Circle Hotel in front of a bookcase with a photo of slain US civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. prominently displayed.

The men did not respond to a reporter’s shouted question of whether a venue for the next summit had been selected. Communist-ruled Vietnam, which has good relations with both the United States and North Korea, has been widely touted as the most likely site.

On his last visit to Washington, Kim Yong Chol delivered a letter from Kim Jong Un to Trump that helped overcome obstacles ahead of the summit in Singapore.

CNN quoted a source familiar with the US-North Korea talks as saying that Kim Yong Chol would be carrying a new letter for Trump.

US-based analysts said that North Korea, which has developed missiles and nuclear weapons in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions, would likely be seeking a clearer message from the Trump administration on any concessions it may be willing to make.

“The North Koreans need a real indication of what the US is willing to put on the table,” said Jenny Town, a North Korea expert at 38 North, a Washington-based think tank.

South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said on Wednesday that if North Korea took concrete steps toward abandoning its weapons programs, Washington could offer a formal end to the 1950-53 Korean War, humanitarian aid or a permanent channel for bilateral dialogue.

Victor Cha, a former White House adviser on Asia under President George W. Bush, suggested that Trump may be so desperate for a policy “win” that he could be vulnerable to a bad deal with North Korea.

“I worry that the timing works to North Korea’s benefit,” Cha said, citing pressures on Trump such as the partial U.S. government shutdown and the ongoing investigation into alleged Russian ties to Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.

Earlier this month, Trump defended the stuttering progress on North Korea by saying that Pyongyang had stopped missile and bomb testing and if it had not been for his administration “you’d be having a nice big fat war in Asia.”





Source link

APPSC Group 3 Panchayat Secretary Recruitment 2019: Apply At psc.ap.gov.in


New Delhi: 

Online application submission process for 1000 Grade IV Panchayat Secretary posts in Andhra Pradesh Panchayat Raj Subordinate Service will end tomorrow. However candidates can deposit the exam fees before midnight today. The registration portal is available at the official website of Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC). Before beginning the application process, candidates would need to register through One Time Profile Registration (OTPR) portal and obtain OTPR id (if not done already). Once a candidate has their OTPR id, they can login to their account and apply for the Panchayat Secretary recruitment.

Apply Online

If the number of applicants exceeds 25,000 the Commission will conduct an offline screening test in April. The main exam, which will be a computer based test, is likely to be held on August 2. There would be objective type questions which are to be answered on computer system. In case any paper of the Examination is held in different languages, the candidate has to choose the medium in which he/she wants to write the examination and the paper will be valued with reference to that medium only.

Mock test will be hosted by the Commission and candidates can access it online.

Candidates have to pay Rs. 250 as application processing fee and Rs. 80 as examination fee. Candidates hailing from Andhra Pradesh and belonging to SC, ST, BC, PH and Ex-Service Men, Families having household supply white card issued by Civil Supplies Department, A.P. Government, and unemployed youth are exempted from paying examination fee.

Click here for more Jobs News





Source link

JDS General Secretary K. Danish Alis Reaction on Current Political Crisis in Karnataka


नई दिल्ली :

कर्नाटक (Karnataka) में मचे सियासी उठापटक (Karnataka Political Crisis) के बीच जेडीएस के प्रधान महासचिव के. दानिश अली (K. Danish Ali) ने एनडीटीवी से कहा कि कांग्रेस के जो 3 विधायक मुंबई में हैं, उसमें से एक विधायक को मंत्री परिषद से हटा दिया गया था. इसलिये संभव है कि वो नाराज हों. इसके अलावा दो अन्य विधायक बेल्लारी के हैं. इन्हें राज्य में कांग्रेस-जेडीएस गठबंधन की सरकार बनने से पहले भी ईडी आदि एजेंसियों के जरिये ब्लैकमेल किया जाता रहा है. उन्होंने कहा कि बीजेपी कर्नाटक सरकार अस्थिर करने की कोशिश कर रही है, क्योंकि कर्नाटक की सरकार पूरे देश में विपक्षी एकता का प्रतीक है. दानिश अली ने कहा कि बीजेपी को अपने विधायकों से भी खतरा है कि कहीं उनके विधायक और नेता उन्हीं का साथ न छोड़ दें. आपको बता दें कि कर्नाटक की राजनीति गर्मा गई है.  मंगलवार को एक निर्दलीय विधायक एच नागेश तथा केपीजेपी पार्टी के विधायक आर शंकर ने राज्य की एचडी कुमारस्वामी नीत जेडीएस-कांग्रेस सरकार (JDS-Congress) से समर्थन वापस ले लिया है. 224 सदस्यीय विधानसभा में भाजपा के 104 विधायक, कांग्रेस के 79, जद एस के 37, बसपा, केपीजेपी और निर्दलीय के एक-एक विधायक हैं. अभी तक बसपा के साथ ही केपीजेपी और निर्दलीय विधायक भी गठबंधन सरकार का समर्थन कर रहे थे.

यह भी पढ़ें : कर्नाटक में गरमाई राजनीति: दो विधायकों ने एचडी कुमारस्वामी की सरकार से वापस लिया समर्थन

 भाजपा (BJP) ने कर्नाटक के सीएम एचडी कुमारस्वामी (HD Kumaraswamy) पर उनके विधायक तोड़ने का आरोप लगाया है. भारतीय जनता पार्टी (BJP)के 104 विधायक देश की राजधानी दिल्ली सटे गुरुग्राम के एक रिसॉर्ट में डेरा डाल रखा है. राज्य भाजपा के प्रमुख और पूर्व सीएम बी. एस. येदियुरप्पा (BS Yeddyurappa) ने कहा, ‘जनता दल सेक्युलर (जेडीएस) भाजपा विधायकों को तोड़ना चाहती है. हम लोग इकट्ठे हैं. हम लोग दिल्ली में अभी एक-दो दिन रुकेंगे.’ वहीं कांग्रेस (Congress)के पांच विधायक भी लापता बताए जा रहे हैं, कयास लगाए जा रहे हैं कि वे विधायक भाजपा के संपर्क में हैं. हालांकि हयेदियुरप्पा ने उन खबरों को खारिज कर दिया कि सरकार गिराने के लिए उनकी पार्टी ‘ऑपरेशन कमल’ में लगी हुई है. उन्होंने बताया, ‘हम लोग 104 भाजपा विधायक हैं और सभी साथ हैं. हमें यहां (गुरुग्राम) में आगामी लोकसभा चुनाव के लिए रणनीति बनाने के लिए बुलाया गया है. सरकार बनाने को लेकर कोई बातचीत नहीं हो रही है. लेकिन अगर ऐसा कुछ होता है तो हमारे नेता आपको बताएंगे.’  

यह भी पढ़ें : कर्नाटक सरकार संकट में? कांग्रेस के 5 विधायक कर सकते हैं प्रेस कॉन्फ्रेंस, 10 बड़ी बातें

टिप्पणियां

VIDEO- कर्नाटक में सत्ता बदलने की कोशिश?

 



Source link

Congress Leader V Muniyappa Appointed As Political Secretary To Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy


V Muniyappa is a Member of the Legislative Assembly from Sidlaghatta constituency.

Bengaluru: 

Congress leader V Muniyappa has been appointed as the political secretary to Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy.

Mr Muniyappa is a Member of the Legislative Assembly from Sidlaghatta constituency.

This comes at a time of new political turbulence in Karnataka after the BJP flew its 104 lawmakers to a luxury resort in Gurgaon, alleging that Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy was trying to split its ranks.

The charges of horse-trading were triggered after three Karnataka Congress legislators visited Mumbai earlier last week, reportedly along with some BJP legislators. This was followed by the Congress alleging that the BJP was trying to poach the ruling party’s legislators to destabilise the JDS-Congress alliance government in Karnataka.





Source link

US Troop Withdrawal From Syria Will Happen, Says Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo


Mike Pompeo is scheduled to head to the capitals of the six Gulf Arab states to make his case.

Cairo, Egypt: 

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that a full US troop withdrawal from Syria announced by President Donald Trump last month will go ahead despite widespread criticism.

The US top diplomat made his remarks while on a whistlestop tour of the Middle East to address the concerns of regional allies about the surprise pullout plan.

“President Trump’s decision to withdraw our troops has been made. We will do that,” Pompeo told a joint press conference in Cairo with Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry.

Earlier this week, US National Security Advisor John Bolton laid out conditions for the pullout, including the defeat of the Islamic State group in Syria and gurantees for the safety of Washington’s Kurdish allies in the campaign, who have been threatened with an imminent offensive by Turkey.

Bolton’s comments were widely seen as backtracking on Trump’s announcement.

But Pompeo insisted the two statements were entirely consistent.

“There is no contradiction whatsoever. This is a story made up by the media,” said Pompeo, underscoring Washington’s continuing commitment to preventing any resurgence by IS.

From Cairo, Pompeo is scheduled to head to the capitals of the six Gulf Arab states to make his case.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)





Source link

Huawei Only Permitted for 5G Trials so Far, Says Telecom Secretary


Amid reports of Chinese technology major Huawei being banned in several countries, including the US, on security concerns, Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan on Tuesday said the Indian government has allowed the company only to carry out trials for 5G connectivity as of now.

Speaking to reporters in New Delhi on the sidelines of a workshop on Internet of Things (IoT) and Machine-to-Machine (M2M) technology, Sundararajan clarified that the government would put the necessary safeguards in place before allowing companies to deploy 5G connectivity and access the core networks.

“We have asked…or rather Huawei has applied to us for participating in the trials, that is different from deployment,” she said.

The secretary said that the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) would like to utilise the opportunity to understand Huawei’s architecture and to what extent it would comply with the networks in India.

“We will be putting in place necessary safeguards. We will be putting in place all necessary safeguards before allowing any access to the core networks”.

Along with the US, Canada and the UK some other European countries have raised concerns over snooping by the Chinese major.

Local equipment manufacturers have also urged the government to stop the procurement of Huawei products for public sector projects.

Last week, Union Communications Minister Manoj Sinha told Rajya Sabha there is no proposal yet to ban the company in the country.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Sunil Kumar Kuzur appointed as the Chief Secretary of the state । छत्तीसगढ़ः सुनील कुमार कुजूर चुने गए राज्य के मुख्य सचिव


1986 बैच के आईएएस अधिकारी सुनील कुमार कुजूर को मुख्य सचिव नियुक्त किया गया है

छत्तीसगढ़ः सुनील कुमार कुजूर नियुक्त किए गए राज्य के मुख्य सचिव

प्रशासनिक सेवा के 1983 बैच के अधिकारी हैं सुनील कुमार कुजूर





Source link

Chhattisgarh Gets New Chief Secretary In Sudden Bureaucratic Reshuffle


After Congress swept the polls in the state, Bhupesh Baghel was appointed chief minister

Raipur: 

The newly-elected Congress government in Chhattisgarh replaced the state’s chief secretary, Ajay Singh, with Sunil Kujur, a 1986-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, on Wednesday night in a sudden move.

According to an order issued by the government, Mr Singh, a 1983-batch IAS officer who was appointed as the chief secretary in January 2018, has been made the chairman of the Revenue Board, Bilaspur. Mr Singh was replaced by Mr Kujur, who was posted as the additional chief secretary (ACS) of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Commerce and Industry and Public Sector departments.

Besides, two other senior IAS officers were also shifted in a major bureaucratic reshuffle late Wednesday night. Koppala Durgananda Prasad Rao, a 1988-batch IAS officer who was posted as the chairman, Revenue Board, Bilaspur, was shifted as the ACS, Agriculture and Biotechnology, and commissioner, Agriculture Production, the order said.

Similarly, Amitabh Jain, who was the ACS in the Finance department, has been given the additional charge as ACS, Commerce and Industry and Public Sector departments.





Source link

New US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan Sets Priority: China, China, China


Patrick Shanahan took the top spot January 1 after Jim Mattis resigned amid disagreements with Trump.

Washington: 

Patrick Shanahan, the acting US defense secretary, started his first full day at the Pentagon’s helm Wednesday by telling colleagues he sees China as a key priority.

Shanahan, who took the top spot January 1 after Jim Mattis resigned amid disagreements with President Donald Trump, told key Defense Department staff to focus on the National Defense Strategy, a broad review that highlights a new era of “Great Power competition” with Russia and China.

“While we are focused on ongoing operations, Acting Secretary Shanahan told the team to remember China, China, China,” a defense official said.

The US accuses Beijing of an ongoing pattern of military and economic espionage, and has criticized China’s ambitious “Belt and Road” trade and infrastructure initiative as being a form of economic coercion.

“In 2019, the National Defense Strategy remains our guide. America’s military strength remains our focus,” Shanahan said in a New Year’s message on Twitter.

The defense official said Shanahan would later Wednesday attend a cabinet meeting with Trump, the president’s first of 2019. 

Little known outside business and Washington circles, Shanahan takes the world stage at a time of tumultuous changes and unpredictable foreign policy moves under Trump.

Shanahan did not serve in the military but has worked since July 2017 as the deputy defense secretary. Before that, he spent more than 30 years at Boeing. 

Among the most immediate issues on his plate will be the pace at which the US pulls 2,200 or so troops out of Syria, following Trump’s decision last month to exit the war-torn country.

According to US officials, Trump is also mulling a 50 percent draw down in Afghanistan — another momentous move that has left lawmakers and international allies fearing for what comes next.

Shanahan announced that Pentagon comptroller David Norquist will perform the duties of deputy secretary of defense, the official said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)





Source link

Man Arrested By West Bengal CID For Pretending To Be Mamata Banerjee’s Secretary


The accused would introduce himself as secretary of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee (File)

Kolkata: 

A person was arrested by the West Bengal Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for pretending to be the secretary of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and defrauding people by taking money from them, an official said on Tuesday.

The accused used to travel in a blue beacon-fitted vehicle and visit the Iskcon International headquarters at Nadia district’s Mayapur.

Based on a complaint lodged by Tarun Gourhari Das, a follower of Iskcon, in Nabadwip Police Station, the accused, Tapas Banerjee, was arrested, an official said.

“He used to visit Iskcon, Mayapur, frequently, first on March 15 in 2014 and then on February 12 the next year, introducing himself as secretary of Chief Minister and also claimed that he would be the District Magistrate of Nadia,” the official said.

Believing him, Iskcon offered many facilities to him.

“A few devotees also invested money in his so-called projects and land matters,” the official added.





Source link